September 22nd, 1806 Fort Belle Fontaine, St. Louis, MO: The group waited in St. Charles most of the day while heavy rains came down, making their way down the river in the evening to Fort Belle Fontaine.
Fort Belle Fontaine is about 20 miles north of St. Louis, Missouri. Built in 1805 under the direction of Lt. Col. Jacob Kingsbury, the fort was the first U.S. military installation west of the Mississippi River. The trading fort was an important gathering place for officers and enlisted men; Native peoples; and French, Spanish and American settlers, trappers, and traders.
Ordway wrote that â€śtowards evening we arrived at Bell founÂtain a Fort or cantonement on South Side which was built since we ascended the Missouri & a handsome place. we moved a short distance below and Camped, the Company of Artillery who lay at this fort fired 17 Rounds with the field peaces the most of our party was Quartered in the Canonment.â€ť The next day they returned to St. Louis. https://www.nps.gov/places/fort-belle-fontaine.htm
#LewisandClark #fortbellefontaine #stlouiscounty #stlmsps