September 20, 1806, La Charrette, MO: The crew reached the small french settlement after 68 more miles of paddling. Two Scottish traders were there and fed Lewis & Clark their first beef since their departure.
“every person, both French and American Seem to express great pleasure at our return, and acknowledged them selves much astonished in seeing us return. They informed us that we were Supposed to have been lost long Since, and were entirely given out by every person” – William Clark
Itâ€™s believed the site of La Charette was washed away by the Missouri River in the floods of 1842-43. It was located south of present-day Marthasville, Missouri, on the north banks of the Missouri. https://www.nps.gov/articles/la-charette.htm
There is a replica cabin and a historical marker near the site at Wessel Park, 1st St, Marthasville, MO 63357